During your lifetime, your feet endure hundreds of thousands of miles, and may be among the most underappreciated and hardest working parts of your body. Taking care of our feet is important, especially since a simple every day task like walking can become painful if an injury or problem occurs. Fortunately, foot care can be simple and easy with the help of your New York podiatrist. Here are three easy ways to care for your feet in order to keep them looking, feeling, and functioning, as they should.
Practice Routine Foot Care
It is true that most of us neglect our feet, and practicing good foot hygiene normally takes a back seat when compared to other health and beauty treatments. But we need to take care of our feet if we want to maintain a pain free and active lifestyle. Here are a few simple foot care tips that help keep your feet looking fresh and feeling at the top of their game.
- Wash your feet daily with warm water. Whenever you get your feet wet, make sure to dry them thoroughly, especially between the toes.
- Keep skin soft and smooth with foot cream (ask your podiatrist in New York for suggestions) applied to the tops and bottoms of your feet. Do not put lotion between the toes to avoid causing an infection.
- Scrub your feet, especially the heels, with a foot scrubber or pumice stone on a regular basis to remove the dead cells.
- Trim toenails once a week, cutting the nails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails.
- In the sun, apply sunscreen to protect your exposed feet.
- To keep you feet dry and odor free, make use of products like foot powders and sprays.
Wear Appropriate Footwear
One of the best ways to keep your feet looking and feeling healthy is to wear the proper footwear.
Purchase shoes that fit well and offer the appropriate support for your feet. The best time to buy shoes is later in the day, when the feet are swollen, and replace old, worn out shoes as soon as possible as they offer no support. It’s also important to select and wear the right shoe for each sport or activity, such as running shoes if you’re a runner. Your New York podiatrists Drs. Evans, Korponay and Schumer can help you determine the best shoe that will offer the most support and stability for your feet.
Taking care of our feet doesn’t have to be difficult. In fact, incorporating a few extra steps into your daily routine can keep your feet looking and feeling their best. Always consult with your podiatrist in New York if you experience pain or discomfort in your feet or ankles. And if you are diabetic, you run a much higher risk of developing foot problems, so visit your podiatrist regularly for foot care tips and exams.